View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 11:45 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  
Threshold
Grateful to be free

thirty...hugs.

I don't know if you've tried it or care too...but 12 step meetings are full of people who already understand some of the things deep inside you that you might not even be able to voice...and are full of potential friends or at least very willing acquaintences.

I've just started going this week, and if nothing else, it's a place to go, people to be in discussion with, and they are pretty easy to be around for an hour at a time.

I am VERY isolated right now due to health, the only place i can drive to is meetings, and I'm home alone all day...gets pretty lonely sitting here all day with an addict who's still unsteady on her feet...feels a bit less lonely sitting there with addicts who may still be unsteady, but are helping one another stand up and stay up.

anyway, just a thought. I resisted the idea of doing the 12 step for about 20 years, and I won't say that I've found my new family or anything, but after 5 meetings I can say that I'm glad I started going, gladder I am listening and it's nice to have a mess of familiar faces to see each day who are genuinely happy to see me, and say "keep coming back"