Old 11-19-2009, 10:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
gonezo77

It appears the most significant improvement occurs following general "relaxation" of the upregulation NMDA/glutamate system and the recovery of the downregulation of the GABA system. For me, I avoid additional sources of glutamate and calcium during the recovery process for this reason. I believe I have read that this system takes anywhere from 3-6 months to normalize.

In addition, the 'blunting' of the HPA axis plays a central role in hormonal disarray caused by alcoholism. Research suggests the hypothalamus takes a minimum of two months to "awake."

Lastly, the dopamine reward pathway needs to recondition itself. This means dopamine receptors need to end the down-regulation caused by alcohol use/withdrawal. A relative dopamine deficiency occurs as the alcohol is no longer available to provide the burst of dopamine we all new and loved. This takes awhile to recover according to all of the information I have reviewed (potentially up to 2 years).

New neural connections need to form. Thinking pattern changes and working the 12 steps assist with this process.

The biochemical process of this disease is something in which I like to focus. If anyone wants to discuss it in further detail, shoot me a message.