View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 12:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
tsukiko
Attended By a Single Hound

Heya Thiskidknows

I’m near on a year and a half clean and I’ve gone it alone. That is, I’ve had some great support from the guys here at sr and I went to NA for a couple of weeks before realising t ain’t for me. I didn’t do detox or rehab though. No therapy, sponsor or anyone to call up. While I had a mate who I went to stay with on my first attempt I messed that up and ended up going cold turkey alone in the end...and I’m still clean.

So, yeah, it can be done.

It’s lonely though. Most my worst moments in those early days were spent alone trashing my flat and going a bit crazy. In fact, they still are and it gets harder being alone.

I recently got a few weeks of therapy, which I reluctantly accepted, but so far I ain’t been able to ‘open up’ to the therapist...but that’s just it. Going it alone is possible, but often it makes a person more closed off. Without outside support, it is too easy to build up those defences and encase all that bad stuff without knowing what to do ‘bout it...which ain’t good in the long term.

If there is support I’d advise taking it, personally. Otherwise i gets harder along the road to accept any help that comes along.

Without sr I don't think I'd be doing as well as I am.

Best of luck, chuck.