Thread: 12 steps
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009, 03:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Found

I'm at step 2.
Step 1 is for those who recognise in themselves an allergy to alcohol or another substance or addictive behaviour, setting up not only an immediate craving for some days but also a longer term obsession concerning the habit. This is a specific type of alcoholic/addict, AA for one has explicitly said it does not aim to corner the alcoholic recovery sphere.
My drinking was in binges of 1-2 days. It was never social, ever.
step 2 is deciding one needs help
step 3 is deciding to get help
steps 4-9 are finding out how to get help
steps 10-12 are carrying on getting help (I think - too far ahead for me to grasp anything at all)
Sponsors do and should vary a great deal, but should be humourous and polite at least.
Some of the steps are microsteps. But a shrewd sponsor should see how much you will benefit from talking it over. Mulling over the background can be most productive. Being sponsored is not about subservience.
Some of the steps are done in written form.
When reading the 'Big Book' a pencil and eraser to record insights gained while discussing it are useful. One day someone else may need you to sponsor them.
All of the steps are relational.
They are designed to be taken and retaken over and over lifelong.
AA has a core and in some places there are add-ons and it is useful to learn what are non-essentials that can safely be ignored or if possible avoided.
AA also has traditions that have enabled it to survive. Some institutions which have borrowed 5 or more of the steps don't have AA traditions. True AA doesn't speak for situations where outside institutions have the say in members attending or not. Members are considered to be self-referred.
What is called 'spiritual' is about choice, decision, evolution, responsibility.
What is called 'program' I often like to call journey.
Other named groups, programs, methods, journeys etc cover most of the same ground but with the elements often considerably reshaped and renamed.
It would be in a good AA spirit not to be over-precise about how others communicate with us in person. Our journey is up to us to pursue with what help we come to realise we need.