Thread: Bankruptcy
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2009, 05:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
tyler
Not all better, getting better

Is there a reason he is waiting a few months to talk to an attorney? There is usually no charge for a consultation, and it would probably put your mind to rest to at least get some questions answered by someone who really know's what they are talking about. It sounds like you pretty much have your mind made up, and even if you change it, at least you would have some solid information to make you decision on.

I filed ch 11 about 5 years ago ( I got lucky, it was literally a couple of months before the new bankruptcy laws took effect) At the time I was still using, so after writing off all of my debt, I proceeded to build it back up again, but not as bad this time. I've been clean for about 7 months now and have my life back on track. I'm working to pay my bills down and not repat the same mistakes again.

As far as life after bankruptcy goes, I got credit card offers right off the bat, (part of the problem!! LOL) some even at a decent interest rate. You are actually considered a better credit risk than many as you can't file again for 10 years, I believe. I got a car loan at 7.75%, though I had to put down a hefty down payment. It's really not that bad. There is some "discomfort", as there should be, but it really is quite managable. Hope this helps. Take care.