Thread: 23
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2009, 12:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Found

There are different types of people and different types of drinkers. Seldom been in a pub in my life. Started drinking at 25, always on my own. In binges with days, weeks or even months dry in between every binge. By 51 I had mega serious losses - even with 5 years sober in the middle. Before even the first year was out (at 26) the neighbours had big question marks over me. At the time of life I should have laid my foundations I was laying it with my addiction.

Why accept a view (and who is offering you that view?) that drinking is the only fun? Why accept a view that you can't form original views totally of your own on what is fun, post-23?

At AA meetings, you could come out with it and ask people to 'be 23 again' with you. They may not get it right but that should be a source of laughter I hope for all of you.

(When I was in my 20s I mixed with a wide age range but that was just me.)

I hope that before long you will meet other (say) under-32s who need your new message of recovery as much as yourself, togetherness in sharing a new message is very exciting.

Also us fogies when we say we wish we had stopped in our twenties, that is actually our weird undemonstrative way of trying to convey that we think it is cool, exciting, etc etc.

By the way gardening sounds way too racy for me ...