Thread: 23
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2009, 12:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
MDB79

You are a brave and honest person. That makes you pretty special for a 23 year old. I know exactly what you mean and what you are feeling. You have already admitted you are an addict so this one shouldn't be so hard. If you continue drinking, by the time you are 30 perhaps you will still be fun to be around. By 40 not so much. By 50 nobody will want to be around you (except other alcoholics that have no life). You would have already lost all your money, family, and God knows what else. You will have a life full of remorse, guilt, failure and aches.

The steps you take now to control your addiction will make your future brighter and better. The "fun" you think you are missing now will the source of hapiness as you get older. It is a "quid pro quo".

I also detect that you are too romantic with your addiction (just like me). Drinking and hanging out are not the only things in life that bring thrills and satisfaction when you are 23. You can still live a thrilling life by chanelling your desires to other less destructive behaviours (I don't mean gardening or sowing). Try other things that bring excitement like bungee jumping, parachuting, or any activity that gets your adrenaline flowing.

Take care and good luck in your recovery!!!!