Thread: Bankruptcy
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2009, 11:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Horselover

I "assume" you have an attorney and have filed. It at least sounded like a done deal from your initial post. I used to be a legal secretary and one of my bosses specialized in bankruptcies. I sure know the creditors can be outright abusive and yes, like Laurie said, you can tell them you are in the process of filing bankruptcy and give them your attorney's number. I loved talking with abusive creditors. I usually let them have it on behalf of my clients. Also when you get your hearing date they will then be notified since you most likely listed them on your paperwork. They, at that point, are not going to be notifiying you or shouldn't.

Suzette, don't worry about it and for God sake don't let this be some sort of identification on you. You are Suzette, like thousands of others, that got caught up in this and are now dealing with it the best you can. My husband and I have bought houses with mortgages that had less then 20 percent down and that is a gamble. Buying a new car today would be a gamble. You take chances and then pick yourself up if it didn't work out and go on. Life would be such a bore if we only took the "safe" route everyday. Plus you've learned from this experience and so for that reason alone it was not a lose - lose situation.

BTW - I have known a family member that had to file and was very ashamed, but then found out it was a great lesson. That family member has better control of her spending then I have ever had and is very money savvy.

Hugs - Sarah