View Single Post
Old 11-13-2009, 03:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
FlipDeadShot

New here, trying to keep it together

Hi all, this is my first time actually reaching out to people in my situation (aside from the 2 AA meetings I attended, but never took all that seriously.) I'm 25 years old and have been drinking since I was 16. The past 5 years have been the heaviest, but i'm proud to say that i've been sober since Oct 4th of this year.

When I was drinking, I was able to mostly make it through the week without getting too hammered, but that would all change come the weekend. I'd end up missing a lot of Mondays due to the relentless alcohol consumption i'd put myself through. I've sadly cut myself off from any sort of meaningful social life, since i'm working like crazy during the week, and getting drunk by myself on the weekend.

Now that i'm sober, I feel much more productive and clear-headed, but now feel even more isolated than during the times I was drinking (I guess you could say alchol became my best and only friend.) I've become an intense workaholic that drinks probably a gallon of coffee a day during the week (i'm assuming this is a side effect of recovery?) But during times like this (friday night, about to get off of work) I start to feel this tingling/nervous sensation that I would get before my first beer. It's making it very hard to not think about drinking. How do you all cope with that feeling, and does it get any better?

Thank you for reading this, and I wish you all the best luck in your own personal recovery stories!!!