View Single Post
Old 11-13-2009, 11:42 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  
thirtybubba
Owner of a strange glitch.

Welcome to all the new people...

Like VC and ANew, I'm a member of August too... did it *fix me*? No. I'm back here... Did it *help*? Can't tell you how much.

Actually I started in July. And since then I have a higher rate of sobriety than I ever have in my life. Am I the role model? No, nor do I claim to be. Did it help? Can't stress it enough...

I might be not worth much as far as sobriety goes, but understand, in my life, any day that I pull off without drinking is better than it "was"... I have not achieved perfection... but I have achieved more than I ever dreamed was possible. A year ago, I did not believe I could spend most of any given month sober. So I'm improving--it just looks bad 'cause I keep relapsing. But it is a better existence in 2009 than it was in 2010...

I might be a minority opinion here, and I know nobody aspires to be "better" than they were. Me, too, I joined thinking, "my goodness--sober forever, what a great idea." I want that, I'm just not there yet... I'll let y'all know. But, for some of us, it takes these bits and pieces to establish the foundation. There is a very recent example in that August group, where someone finally "got it"--in November. Sometimes, that's what it takes. Don't lose hope, Novemberites... although I know sober is our goal, sometimes it takes proof we can understand. And to those who "get it" right off... congratulations. I'll be there for both groups...

Sorry for rambling. I just thought it should be said.

TB