View Single Post
Old 11-12-2009, 04:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
NewMe11109
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Collegegirl -

Everyone else has given you great advice and you should spend whatever energy, effort, money, etc. you have to in order to get sober. It needs to be your #1 priority.

But, a topic that isn't spoken of too often is the cost of recovery. Some people just use the cost as an excuse to not get help, see a therapist, etc. (Note that the cost of NOT recovering is way more than the cost of seeing a therapist, but in case this is an issue for you...)

I remember that my wife kept telling me that I should go see a therapist and I just couldn't bring myself to spend $100+ / hr to do it (even though I probably should have).

But, when I went to AA (which probably costs you $1-2 per meeting), all of a sudden I found an experience that was worth way more than $100 / hr, was keeping me sober, (and was a pretty good value ).

For me, it was AA, actively working on my recovery, and also SR. I use SR to fill in the gaps between my AA meetings and my service work with other alcoholics.

So, it is an integrated program of recovery, and it costs me $10 / wk plus a little gas.