View Single Post
Old 11-12-2009, 10:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
keithj

Hi gingerblue.

My opinion, and I believe it's consistent with AA tradition, is that AA is a take it or leave it program. To paraphrase Dr. Bob, If you are really ready to stop drinking for good and all, and know you must have help, AA has a solution for you that works every time. If you think you have some other way that will work, I encourage you to pursue it with everything you've got. Others here can give you some information about other programs.

My experience is that after trying to get sober for years by my own willpower, doctors, drugs, counselors, outpatient and inpatient treatment, I was finally able to accept AA's program. I was willing to try it because I was hopeless. I took the steps to the best of my ability at the time, and I recovered. I haven't been bothered by the drink problem since that time.

My observation is that those who take the 12 steps recover just like I did. By contrast, I see the vast majority of people coming out of a 2 year long drug court treatment (mix of MRT and CBT/DBT) program relapse within a few months. That's an intense program, far more involved than any IOP or inpatient rehab I'm aware of. I make a habit of offering AA's program to those that are willing. Those that take the 12 steps recover. I can't say what happens to the rest, but enough of them pop back up a few years later to give me a pretty good idea that life has not been too kind to them out there.

So the bottom line is do what you want. If you can't stay sober doing what you think you need, you may want to try doing what has worked for others.