View Single Post
Old 11-10-2009, 08:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
gingerblue

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
LOL!!!!

So gingerblue what were you doing, just not drinking or were you working on your recovery.

Just not drinking is not recovery, it took me a lot of years to figure that one out, I thought all it took to stay stopped was to just not drink!

Turned out that drinking was but a symptom of my problems, I had to find a solution for my problems that did not equal drinking. I had to change many things about me, how I viewed and lived life.

So what were you doing to recover?
I agree completely. Drinking IS a symptom, a coping mechanism if you will. But of course, it makes things worse and the problems are still there the next day. I've been running from "real life" for years now and I am so very sick of it. Plus this headache..

What am I doing to recover. That's a hard one. Have gone to AA in the past, it is just not for me. I have a friend who is deeply involved in AA and she feels I am in denial, that's why I don't "get" it. Maybe this is so, but I do truly believe that a person CAN abuse alcohol and not be an alcoholic. In the past if I was not abusing alcohol, I've found something else to abuse. There is always something--with booze being the easiest escape. If I dig deep, I know that I have spent my whole life self-medicating...whether it was food, gambling, booze, pills, relationships--always something to barricade me from the unpleasantries of life in general.

I know I need some good counseling, to get to the root of it all. If I can do that, my belief is that my need to self medicate will give way to healthy ways to combat my issues. Of course sitting here just typing about it is just another way to put it off...you know?

Back to square one. For today, I will not drink. I will also look into therapy for the hundredth time. I really wish I had been strong enough last night to just log in here before I hit the liquor store.