Old 11-10-2009, 06:19 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
miamifella

Thank you all for your help.

I am trying to lay off of AA because I never had an issue with alcohol and many people I am reading online are offended by the idea of non-drinkers going to AA meetings.

I had some luck yesterday. I finally found a good meeting. It was the largest I had ever been to---over 90 people by my count. The real shock was that over half had had over a year or more. I have NEVER seen that at a meeting before.

Cubile--I know officially the programs do not endorse willpower, but in practice they do. Just recently I had people tell me that there was nothing I could do about drug cravings but hang on. Isn't that willpower by another name?

I look back an remember going to 3 meetings a day for most of my first year. That was in Delray Beach, Florida so there were a lot of people recently out of treatment who took this all very seriously. I got something out of those first meetings and have not seen that kind of focus since I moved. I was shocked by the silence in the room.

This group is speaker meetings with only two people sharing briefly at the end. I think I need to also find a smaller groups with more people sharing so I can get to know people better. I still am hesitant to approach people--I did not want anyone jumping down my throat for saying or doing the wrong thing. I do not think they are that way in this group--and I did not see anyone else getting called on the carpet.