View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 12:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
keithj

Howdy, Kjell. The details of your ongoing saga were so similar to my own, I felt compelled to post a little of my experience. I don't know if it applies, so take it or leave it.

Up until my last year or so of drinking, I never had a DUI. By the time my alcoholism progressed to way serious proportions, I had family responsibilities and basically drank at home in my garage. Driving and drinking was a line I said I'd never cross. But, like all those lines we make, I drank and drove hundreds of times in those last couple of years. On a daily basis because I was drunk 24/7.

So I got my first DUI and a second one a few days later. I immediately got hooked up with outpatient treatment. I believed this was a step up from my previous counseling. I was enthusiastic and determined and took it seriously. Things seemed to be going well. Oddly enough, a few days after my sentencing I woke up behind the wheel of a smashed vehicle.

OK, so another wake up call. I thought that would surely wake me up and I would get sober. I went to inpatient rehab and jumped into AA when I got out. I did everything they told me to do in AA. I read the book, had a sponsor, had a service position. But I never worked the steps. I tried to, but I didn't get it, and like many, got stuck on Step 4. With about 8 months or so of sobriety, the last few white knuckle at best, I started drinking again for no good reason and got another DUI. That made 4 in about a year's time.

If ever there was a wake up call, this was it. I was looking at a felony 5 year sentence. Life as I knew it was over. Prior to sentencing, the judge put me on a UA testing protocol, and assured me that I would serve the full sentence if I peed dirty. I could not stop drinking.

That's when I really learned I was powerless. I also learned that getting sober had nothing to do with wake up calls or bottoms. It had to do with accepting that powerlessness and accepting spiritual help.

I kept thinking that surely with these consequences, I'd be able to get serious about it and stop. But I couldn't. I couldn't stop drinking. So I did the only thing left to do when one can not go on living like that. I called a guy in AA who talked about a spiritual solution as being the real alcoholic's only hope. I took the steps as described in the BB and I recovered.

The realization for me of all that was the shattering of a delusion that these events and consequences would keep me sober. Instead, I realized that these events and consequences were just going to keep happening, despite all my efforts and sincere desire to not drink.

That was when I got open minded about a spiritual solution. And that solution has proved incredibly effective for my alcoholism and in all of my life.

I wish you the same results.