Thread: HowLong?
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 07:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
keithj

Originally Posted by Saphie View Post
Should it be one day at a time for the rest of my life or is there a moment of full acceptance? I am pretty certain that I will not be able to complete step two and three, but I really like to conquer step one.
With some time behind me living sober, I've come to look at Step 1 a little differently. For me, it's not about accepting the fact that I can never drink again, it's about accepting the fact the I'm almost certain to drink again.

I'm an alcoholic of the chronic variety. This means that I'm powerless over alcohol. I'm positive that there will come a time and a place where I have no mental defense against taking that first drink. It's inevitable and there is nothing I can do about it. But I have no fear of that ever happening.

How's that possible? An inevitable, horrible occurrence that I have no control over, and I don't fear it. It's because I didn't stop with Step 1. As the result of taking all the steps, I've been placed in a position of neutrality towards alcohol. I don't try to control it. Instead, I try my best to live by certain principles, and the alcohol thing takes care of itself.

If Step 1 were all it took, AA would be a one step program. The Big Book would consist of a single line that says, 'I'm powerless, so don't drink." There is a lot more to it than that.

An open mind has proved very important in my sobriety.