Old 11-08-2009, 08:50 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
shaun00

Originally Posted by miamifella View Post
firestorm--

I see something different. Everyone talks about how great their life is without ever describing any problems---but if their lives were so great why can they not put together a couple years of clean time.

They do not talk much about any practical application of the steps or how they get there. It is more a sales pitch for the program---no matter what kind of meeting it is supposed to be.

There are some good people...but over the years I see fewer and fewer.
i wandered in and out of AA for a good while thinking exactly what your thinking.
i be honest..most of the time my thoughts were.. im surround by a bunch of smug bas...rds that bounce of each other with storys of glee and merryment..

vague talk of the steps....vague talk of higher power....lots of talk about recovery and not recovered.....and guys getting drunk all over.
Until i met a guy that that talked of "a solution"....o yeah right.
but he told me he could show me exactly how to recover.

now this surprised me a bit.....he sat at the back alot.....said little.
and he was boring because he didnt share any war stories...lol
he talk alot about god and alot about the big book.

i thought he was a relative newcomer.......i later find he was 22 years sober.
we worked through the 12 steps together.......and read the book together.
i then saw the difference between people that talk recovery and people that have recovered......and the message they share.

i urge anyone that is struggling with meetings and steps to look for that quiet man/woman.......that has recovered.....and can show you exactly how they did/do it..........following pricise direction from the big book.

Then go back to those weak meetings and share what you have found and how you did it......
personally i think most can recover from alcoholism.......as long as we are directed to the oringnal instruction manual that tells us pricisely how too.

the big book of alcoholics anonymous.

if i can be of any help to anyone please pm me......or take a trip over to twelve step support.