Old 11-08-2009, 05:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ago

Originally Posted by miamifella View Post
I do not know how to respond.

I listen at meetings--I rarely speak.

I hear the stories of how life is better in recovery---in spite of the fact that few people in the rooms get past the 6 month mark. I see my similarity to them and do not want to go down that path.

You all tell me there are better meetings out there--but I cannot find them. Since no one has been able to point me to one, I have gone out looking for myself and find myself going to places where no one has six months. Since it was suggested by people here, I am not going to AA anymore.

I have asked people on the phone, point blank, do I have to wait until I finish the 12-steps before I get relief. The answer was Yes. Because people here have said I should be calling people when I am struggling with the urge to use, I asked if there was ANYTHING I could do until then. One of the guys evaded and the other said I could do the steps in a couple days.

I have been taking suggestions from people here over the last few weeks. I could do like we do in meetings and tell you that everything is good now...it is all working out fine. But what good would that do for anyone?
I for one never suggested you don't go to open AA meetings

Look MF, this is your life, and it's life and death, when I was in your shoes I let NOTHING stand between me and sobriety...NOTHING, I drove 2 hours each direction twice a week and one hour each direction twice a week, and one night drove 1/2 hour each direction on a suspended license

I actually got pulled over, and told the cop the truth, and he let me go

Do what it takes to get it done no matter what, and let nothing and no one stand in your way, period

This is what I had to do

If that means going to some open AA meetings and finding an alcoholic take you through the steps or sticking a feather in yer butt and chanting rama rama as the sun rises, I don't care, but there is no try, there is only do

personally I'd like to see you "do" and I'd like to see you be that guy with more then six months sponsoring others, and see you build a fellowship around you.

I started sponsoring others with 30 days of sobriety, all I had to do was stay one step ahead of my sponsee, he stayed sober for double digit sobriety