Old 11-08-2009, 05:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ago

Originally Posted by miamifella View Post
Sailorjohn--

I am surprised that you say what you do. I have taken many suggestions here and elsewhere. I got into these phone conversations at the suggestion of people here (and with their help).

If I was not hearing good, sensible, helpful things here I would have stopped coming back long ago. I really had no hope when I first read this board. I had completely dismissed 12-step programs. Now I think they might be able to help me.

I am sorry if it feels that I am unresponsive. But that is not true and I appreciate your patience.
I see what John is saying, it's like you have a selective perception where you latch on to things inside what someone is saying, pull it out of context, change it's meaning, then respond to it saying why it would never work for you.

It's like you hear what you want to hear, distort it, show why it would never work, and thus self sabotage

I have seen you do this numerous times on threads here, and have extrapolated from that you also do that IRL at meetings.

The only thing I can suggest is take the cotton out of your ears, put it in your mouth, and start having an open mind, like start actually listening to what people are saying to you and let go of your pre and mis-conceptions, which are the things blocking you, and rather then focusing on how stay sober until you work the steps, just work the F'ing steps already, this thread by it's very definition is a call for help but what it is is you preparing yourself for another failure.

What I can suggest is to start looking for the similarities, not the differences, and stop thinking you know what will work or not, because you don't know what will work because otherwise you would be sober.

Go back and reread all your threads for the last month, read them carefully, write down the common denominators of suggestions you have received from people who have gotten and maintained a period of sobriety, do what they say, do what they did, stop arguing, stop thinking, your mind and your thinking is what is keeping you sick, you know that little voice in your head?

It's not your friend

It's trying to murder you

Stop listening to it and immerse yourself in recovery, if that is what you actually want

This is all said with a great deal of love, because you are probably the stupidest, most mule headed really intelligent guy I have ever come across with the exception of that guy I see in the mirror every day.

No one has ever been too stupid to get sober, but quite a few of us are too smart to get sober.