View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 08:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
a fallen man

homecoming report...i win.

our local university had football homecoming yesterday. in years past, i would have arrived early and visited different tents and been torched by gametime. due to several familial commitments i wasn't able to get there until right at gametime.

that took care of the pregame drinking ritual. and ritual is a huge temptation. it's difficult every time i drive by 'my' liquor store on the way home.

a friend had extra tickets waiting for me. this guy has given me tickets many, many times. i've never seen him drink before but he has seen me half lit to full lit at many games.

about midway through the first quarter he comes back with 2 cokes and gives me one. he then pulls out a flask and offers me some bourbon....now i was a vodka drinker but bourbon in kentucky....well....we're kinda known for it. he offers me some and i just laughed and said....'no man, i haven't had anything in over 60 days'

he was very cool about it and said, 'no problem, i won't tempt you again'...it was not uncomfortable at all. i really enjoyed the game. this guy is very witty and we get along well. having spent many games with him, when i was lit, it was funny seeing him somewhat lit. he wasn't really slurring his speech but he wasn't his normal quick self and was missing out on some little things going on in the game.

how many times have i appeared that way to someone else??? you can't count 'em and thinking about it embarrasses me. i feel great today. no upset stomach or hurting head usually associated with homecoming partying.

for all of the newcomers in their first couple of days or weeks. it gets better guys. if i can beat back the temptations of h.c. drinking you can do it too. i'm not gonna lie....there was a point when he unscrewed that cap on the flask and the whiff hit me that i thought....'nobody will really know, i can have one drink'....but i know better. i know what it leads to.

i know i sound like a broken record but major kudos to this site and everyone that has helped me. i love you guys. you give me strength and i couldn't wait to tell you of a minor victory.