View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 05:11 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
christin1225

Originally Posted by Jason R View Post
So, I got up and went to a counter where they serve food. I found out I was in the wrong room.
LOL Jason, I've been pointed to the wrong room. Although I attend AA also, NA is my main fellowship. As a 46-year-old woman who attends meeting after work in her "office attire," I have had a couple of times when I've been directed (by fellow addicts!) to the "church function" and I've had to tell someone, "No, I'm an addict. I'm hear for the NA meeting."

Now, that I got that out of the way: :ghug3 CONGRATULATIONS! Jason = 1, Alcohol = 0

They then asked if there was anyone that had 1-30 days of sobriety. I gave my name and told them that I hadn't had a day of sobriety yet.
This is huge! With 20+ people in the room, you probably could have gotten away with not opening your mouth. But, you CHOSE to speak.
Jason = 2, Alcohol = 0

When they were done reading they asked that everyone say something about themselves but told me if I didn't want to that's fine. I chose to tell them about me.
Man, you were on a roll! Jason = 3, Alcohol = 0

After everyone was done we all stood up and recited the Lords prayer (Which I thought was strange because they told me don't refer to God as God.
I don't believe that all AA groups end with the Lord's Prayer. Mine does. I've heard that it's customary for those who do not subscribe to the prayer to join hands and to remain silent. In our group, people feel comfortable simply leaving before the Lord's prayer. Although everyone is entitled to their own concept of a HP/God, the program does not deny the existance of a HP referenced as God. Some a- or non-traditional theists can't get past this. Personally, I believe that those who have a fairly traditional conception of God have an easier time in AA in the beginning. However, the avowed atheist can find a home in AA as well.

While I was leaving one gentlemen said it was nice meeting me. I expected a bit more guidance and what I should do next but didn't get any of that.
I'm glad that someone came up and personally welcomed you, Jason. What I have found, especially in the beginning, is that you will be given only as much direction as you request. If you simply want to attend meetings for five years, no one will prevent you from doing so nor will anyone tell you that you have to do anything else. Even the twelve steps and getting a sponsor are suggestions. They are suggested because they have worked for others. However, the only thing that is required for membership is a desire to stop drinking. The fact that you went, looking for direction: Jason = 4, Alcohol = 0

If you want, at your next meeting, indicate that you would like to speak to someone after the meeting or that you would like to have some phone numbers to call people during the week to speak to them. That's something that, I've found that AA doesn't do as readily as NA in my area. No newcomer leaves an NA meeting without being given a meeting list on which every person of his/her gender has written his/her phone number for the newcomer to contact.

I think next time I'll look for a different meeting. This was a smoking meeting also.
I assume that's because there are so few smoking meetings around any more. It's absolutely wonderful that you're anticipating your next meeting already. Jason = 5, Alcohol = 0

Jason, it sounds as though it was a winner of an evening. When I was first attending meetings, I thought, "You've got to be kidding me. They read the same stuff at every meeting to introduce the meeting? What good is that going to do me? The same stuff over and over." Well, they've been doing it for something like 70 years and it's been working for them. After almost a year of going to meetings, I've come to find out that it does work. I can't tell you why getting together with a bunch of fellow drunks/addicts several times a week and listening to the same readings meeting after meeting helps me to have the kind of sanity that helps me to stay sober, but it does. I guess that it doesn't matter why it works. It only matters that it does work.

One more time, CONGRATULATIONS on your first meeting, Jason. You've taken a huge step. The secret now is to keep stepping forward.