Thread: Coming out...
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2009, 05:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
a fallen man

great post. you're a really good writer. you made me feel your pain about coming clean. i can't really say i know because i haven't even told my mother that i've quit...and i'm 50...lol.

i think she knows because i'm sure our phone conversations are more coherent now. but i've told her i was quitting in the past and started drinking again. my sister just went into a rehab clinic and my brother is on and off again with his alcoholism. i just didn't want to say i've quit and then fail again.

the only people that really know about me is my immediate family, wife and 2 sons. about 4 guys i work with that pretty much know everything about me. i just told them i couldn't drink anymore. they understand. one of them is a heavy drinker and i think it has actually rubbed off on him a bit.

btw, i failed every one of those online tests too. but today is day 61 for me. it's a big one as it's homecoming for the local university. i want to go up to tailgating early and visit with people but it usually entails lots of drinking. i've made it through 3 tailgatings so far and been okay but h.c. is tougher. but i promise not to drink today. it truly is a better experience straight.

back to you, it sounds like your mom will be very supportive. don't be surprised if she doesn't already know what you're doing. we can try to be secretive but our parents know us well. i'm sure she's already seen a difference in you....a good one. i wish you luck and have already said a prayer for you.