View Single Post
Old 11-06-2009, 09:36 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
NoelleR

Cool

Hey Jo---

You ask.....: "...Has anyone every been to a meeting in the morning. Do people go?..."

The quick, down 'n dirty answer would be, "YES, ABSOLUTELY!"

I got sober here in Houston, going to meetings at our Lamba Center (a gay AA clubhouse, which houses about 50 AA meetings a week, with a couple of Alanon meetings thrown in there, just to keep everybody happy.....LOLOL). During the week, they have a 6:30AM meeting every day (most are well attended (as many folks like to start their day off with a meeting before work); on Saturday, they start the day off with an early bird meeting at 8:30AM (VERY well attended), and on Sunday they have a meeting (Came to Believe) at 9:30AM (also well attended, but fewer than Saturday since many folks prefer to go to church on Sunday morning).

When I first started going to Lambda.....: there were no early AM meetings during the week; the 'early bird' meeting on Saturday started at 9:00AM, with a womyn's meeting following at 10:30AM; I never went to the 9:00AM meeting, but the 10:30AM womyn's meeting was always well attended, my, my, my, lookit all dem sober dykes (probly between 25-40 womyn); my sponsor (the center's most vociferous and staunchest atheist) loved going to the early Sunday meeting, which back then was 9:00AM-10:30AM with 75-90 folks; since she liked to meet with all her sponsees on Sundays (usually for brunch or lunch), we would all drag our butts outta bed and get to the meeting (she loved to laugh at the thought that we couldn't/wouldn't/didn't do that for church, but to keep sober----ABSOLUTELY).

I don't know what your area is like or what the folks are like there; like is there a lot of shift-work (which would mean one might be able to find meetings at all hours). Houston is a very large city (it's equal to the size of the state of Rhode Island; a small state, but a state none the less....lolol); there are actually more than 2,000 meetings per day to choose from.

I don't know about finding a church basement meeting setting. Are you working from a booklet/printed list, or are you calling your local AA Intergroup....? A list is good, but it's always wise to call and verify whether the meeting listed is still goin on and where it's located---not just the address as per your list, but is it a church or a hospital or counselling center or what. Granted, the person answering the Intergroup phone may not have all this information, but it never hurts to ask, and it could save you going to a 'now-nonexistant' meeting.....

NoelleR