Thread: God...
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2009, 04:41 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Bamboozle
I got nothin'

Here is MG's sticky post in its entirety:

Originally Posted by Morning Glory View Post
This forum is a non-12-step forum. It is open to all our members who approach their life with secular viewpoints.

Discussions are fine. Respectful disagreements are fine too. I consider a discussion a conversation when all parties are listening to each other and sharing ideas. Respectful disagreements are disagreements that still allow the other person their own opinion. Discussions are showing an interest in understanding why another feels a certain way. We listen intently as they explain themselves and are free to admit any error in our own ways of thinking. A discussion is a cooperative effort and seeks resolution resulting in a peaceful end even when there are disagreements. Discussions help all to gain a better understanding of both sides of the issue.

Debates [for the purpose of this forum] are when posters only want to express themselves and discredit the opinions of others in a disrespectful way. Attacking someone else's ideas is not appropriate. Defending a belief that doesn't relate to the purpose or topics of this forum is not appropriate. Posts that flame or mock another recovery method, spiritual belief, sexual preference, race, disability, mental illness, moderator, or member etc.. are inappropriate. Off site links with similar content are also inappropriate.

This forum is for topics that are not spiritual or faith based. We have 2 other forums for those topics. Members who have spiritual beliefs are welcomed to post here as long as they stay on topic.
Links to noncommercial recovery sites and informational and educational material are permitted.

Links to other recovery message boards and commercial recovery sites are not permitted.

This thread was okay until:

Originally Posted by ElegantlyWasted View Post
Thought this post died... Must be philosophical Thursday!
My line of thinking was more along the lines of how the concept of god and spirituality are interwoven in culture and evolve as we come to a better understanding of our world. As societies modernized the isms too precedent over organized religion as the primary means for ordering societies, fascism, capitalism, communism etc, while religion remained a choice as a spiritual outlet. Specifically applied to modern addiction recovery; I think it means that everyone has choice to figure out how fill the void/ rebuild oneself without their doc. It implies different paths for different people. It's why AA works. AA teaches a discipline that ultimately enhances personal growth and awareness. It's spiritual, which validates our emotions as experiences sober, and open ended enough to allow a person to grow as an individual. The god reflex, then could be considered a necessary human quality for social order, whether channeled into denying, believing, or embracing the isms. The Jungian concept of collective conscious involves more than I could explain with any brevity, but includes aspects of budhism, Freudian psychology, sociology and many other things. It's sort of an overlap or shared understanding among people in general or a subgroup in specific. His dream analysis is both fun and informative. Sorry for rambling, reading everyones posts helps me keep it real and clarifies my own thoughts. Humbly on day 93.

We have been told repeatedly to avoid topics about AA. Perhaps you didn't know. I couldn't help but notice how that remark was slid in there. This sort of discussion would be best carried out in the spiritual section, the regular 12-step section, or even the secular 12-step section.

We would love to hear how your secular recovery is working for you.