View Single Post
Old 11-06-2009, 01:02 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Jason R

Well, I did it. I went to my first meeting. It wasn't what I expected. I pulled into the parking lot and followed a couple of guys in. Upon entering I saw a bunch of tables with people sitting around them talking. I had thought this was where the meeting was. I couldn't see anyone that was obviously directing it. So, I got up and went to a counter where they serve food. I found out I was in the wrong room. I went into the correct room where the two men I followed into the building were sitting. I introduced myself and was told to have a seat. To begin with there were only three of us. At pretty much dead on 1:30 about 20 more people came in. A person stood up and introduced herself and proceeded to read from a book. They then asked if there was anyone that had 1-30 days of sobriety. I gave my name and told them that I hadn't had a day of sobriety yet. They all responded "Hi and welcome Jason" After the serenity prayer each of the tables broke up individually. I had originally thought that there would be a specific table where you would sit depending on your sobriety success. It didn't appear to be the case. There were eight people at my table. Everyone but me took turns reading out of a little yellow 12 steps pamphlet. When they were done reading they asked that everyone say something about themselves but told me if I didn't want to that's fine. I chose to tell them about me. After everyone was done we all stood up and recited the Lords prayer (Which I thought was strange because they told me don't refer to God as God. Refer to him as "A Higher Power"). After that everybody just walked away and left. I thought to myself "I guess we're done?" While I was leaving one gentlemen said it was nice meeting me. I expected a bit more guidance and what I should do next but didn't get any of that. I think next time I'll look for a different meeting. This was a smoking meeting also. I knew upon going that it was smoking but figured I'd just deal with it. Well, I literally think every person in that building was smoking. Too much for me. I have been home for an hour and still am sneezing and coughing.