Thread: Introduction
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 10:19 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
joedris

Payton, You're fortunate in that you've recognized your propensity toward alcoholism early on and are committed to doing something about it. If you've been lurking, you know the drill about this being a progressive disease and all that. And the fact that your husband is supportive is a double blessing.

The Taz is right in that you should seek out a support group. Like him, I'm in AA and have been for years. Without it, my recovery would never have happened. Please don't be afraid of AA. The people you meet there are just like you and have the same problems you have. You're not gonna break your cover by going to a meeting. AA is kinda like Vegas. What happens there stays there. And your next door neighbor will probably be more suprised that you saw her there than she you. AA is a program that is remarkably successful for those who thoroughly follow the program. And it's a simple program of alcoholics helping other alcoholics. You may want to try a Woman's Only meeting to start as that may make you more comfortable. But give it a try. It's free and there's always coffee available. And you need to also understand that this disease is serious, real, and permanent. Telling or not telling your husband you want to attend AA will never change that.

As to the other issues you have, I also suggest a good therapist but be sure as Taz said that you pick one who deals with addictions as well as eating disorders.