View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 07:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
GingerM

You had a behavior modeled for you by your father. You are now repeating that behavior, without being in control of what you are doing (most likely, your father wasn't in control either). The key to solving this is to get at the root of why you are triggered to behave this way (and the answer is not "I was angry" - anger is a secondary emotion, you have to feel something else first before you can feel anger), then deal with that root cause and deal with the behavior that you seem to have no control over and learn how to get it under control.

It would be easy to blame your father for this (well he taught me to act like this) but... you can only blame your parents for where you got to, you can not blame them if you choose to stay there.

A good therapist/counselor with a background in cognitive behavioral therapy, ACoA issues or anger management issues should be a good start. Many medical insurances now cover mental health - if you have medical insurance, I would check into it.

And if the thought of going to therapy bothers you, imagine, worst case scenario, you lose your cool again, and next time accidentally kill your mother. I'm guessing that would bother you a whole lot more than therapy would. Not to mention that if it isn't your mother, it will be whoever else is handy when something inside you snaps - your girlfriend/boyfriend, your children, another adult etc.

If you ever want to find peace in yourself, you must work this out and in the very near future.

As others have noted - this is not said with any judgment implied. In your post you asked how you could work this out. This is how. (full disclosure: prior to my own therapy, I was prone to outbursts of anger as well - not to the degree you decsribe, but of the same variety).