View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009, 09:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
firestorm090

Des Plaines, yep, been there worked there for years, love the old McDonald's shrine, lol.

Welcome to SR. I'm a former Chicago boy, now in CA. Don't miss the winters much at all, cept around Christmas, loved those white Christmas's.

I know the AA program is strong there, in fact I went to my 1st AA meeting in Desplaines, I was 19 and not ready, but I still remember it. That's where I'd start looking to build a new network for support and contacts. You may also consider day labor, but I know it's hard with no money for transportation, buses, etc.

Losses, sure, I have a ton of those, ex-wife who tried every way possible to help me stop drinking, family, business I built over many years, trucks, the home my ex still has, sure, the losses just keep piling up over many years of alcohol abuse. The most important loss is of myself, for I became someone I didn't recognize when I looked in the mirror, there was something about my eyes, they looked hollow and scared, so I know how it is. I also know there are alot of great, caring people here at SR, so keep asking for help, and keep in touch. An addiction is an addiction, most are harmful, so start with sobriety first, then focus on dealing with the losses. Just suggestions.

Welcome again.