View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009, 01:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
DesertEyes

Hello there DD, and welcome to our corner of recovery.

I was the "strong one" in my alcoholic family, and I also ran away from home for my own sanity. I left a younger brother, and suffered from that guilt for many years. In the end he did fine, and has a happy and healthy little family of his own now.

There was a time I used to drop everything to go rescue my alcoholic parents, and then hated myself for doing what I promised myself I'd never do again. It took me a few years in recovery and a couple good therapists but I eventually learned how to "detach with love".

You asked for some thoughts. What worked for me was to attent meetings of al-anon. They are the experts at dealing with family members that are active in their addiction. They also have a wealth of books and pamphlets full of wonderful suggestions. You can find them in your phone book. We have a forum "next door" that you might also want to browse thru.

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

At the top of that forum, and at the top of this ACoA forum there's a bunch of "sticky posts". Take a little time to browse thru those and see what information is relevant to your situation. You'll find that most of us go thru very similiar emotions and problems in dealing with our parents. The details of stories are different, but the emotions are very similar. As you browse thru all that material please post any questions you may have or anything that is not clear.

I'm glad you decided to join us

Mike