Old 11-01-2009, 09:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
dojoro
"I think I can. I think I can"

In one hour I have to look it in the eye...need advice.

We have a birthday party to go to. It is a kids party but the adults all stand around and drink. I know there will be alcohol there. A whole bar set up. Help yourself style. No one really knows how much the other is drinking. I thought about not going. That would mean my littlest guy would have to stay home too. My husband couldn't have all 3 there alone. I think I will go because this will not be the last time. I am going to be faced with this my whole life. I am nervous. I will be offered a drink and probably be looked at funny or questioned if I say "No, Thanks!" I've always drank with this couple, especially at parties. I think I can handle it. I think I can talk myself through it. I think it will be harder then I imagine.

I feel I have been getting weaker. Really questioning whether or not I have a BIG problem. I bet I can just have one or two at the party and be done. Start fresh tomorrow. Like everyone else does....can I? I am not ready to challenge myself that way yet but I want to see if I can drink normally. Please advise and since I know you will say "don't drink today" what do I tell my brain who will be telling me everything but "don't drink" at this party. Maybe I should take my little guy to the bookstore and get the big book instead. In the beginning is it better to avoid situations with alcohol or torture yourself so you can grow? Thanks!

Jo