View Single Post
Old 10-31-2009, 06:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Ago

Originally Posted by bookwyrm View Post
Ago, I read your post this morning and it has bothered me all day. Usually you write very insightful stuff but this just seemed mean and low. I'm not as articulate as you so please bear with me.

I can only speak from my experience. When STBXAH lived with me he passed the blame/responsibility onto me for almost everything wrong in our lives. And, somehow, I took it on board and tried to shoulder it. STBXAH was very controlling and I became very isolated. This impacted on my mental health - I suffered from depression for years. My self confidence and self esteem became eroded over the years. I didn't trust myself and STBXAH eroded any self belief I had. I trusted his opinion more than my own. Yes, I know, a consequence of my choice to stay with him - strongly influenced by him and my daily situation.

Then I was referred to a counsellor for depression - this started my personal growth and all hell broke loose at home.

When I found this site I knew nothing about alcoholism and even less about co dependancy. Knowledge is power and it helped set me free. Questions like 'do alcoholics feel remorse?' were asked by me from a place of pain and disbelief. As a codie I have been 'trained' to be over responsible for everything and to believe the best of my STBXAH. His escalating alcoholism and subsequent behaviour were so out of the blue, so painful, that I couldn't understand how a thinking, feeling human being could do that to another that they professed to love. I still don't get the why of it but I have learned to let it go.

Personally, when I was just starting to learn about all this stuff, I still took the blame and responsibility for everything. Instead of blaming myself, I needed to look at things differently. Part of that process was blaming the alcoholic in my life - something I had never considered doing before.

If I had come to this site and been confronted with even more finger pointing and blame, I would have crumbled under the weight of it all. Reading all the other stories here made me realise that, actually, I'm NOT the reason STBXAH drinks, I'm not alone in what I experienced and I don't deserve it! What may seem obvious to you didn't to me.

What I'm trying to say is that, as a codie, I was blamed for so much, I had the weight of the world on my shoulders. I needed to learn how to be responsible for only the things I am responsible for! Which is why I love the fact that this forum says things like 'that's what alcoholics do' etc. It helped me work out what was my 'stuff' and what I could leave well enough alone. I needed to learn to be kind to myself and put me first.

I'm a codie, not an alcoholic. This forum was my safe place when living with an active alcoholic. I wouldn't want to see that change.
I hear and understand what you are saying, I didn't think of it as "mean and low" I thought of it as "blunt and to the point", as in I told the truth, and I would never be nearly that blunt to somebody that was "new" however for example, if it were an alcoholic I saw struggling for six months I wouldn't have been nearly this gentle

Just because something is the truth and has a "bite" doesn't necessarily make it "mean and low", I asked those same questions as you did when I was new, and when I was new they were relevant, after six months however my support group would repeatedly bring the focus back on me, because that is where the answer ie recovery was to be found.

I hear what you are saying, and by no means did I mean to be hurtful but I guess, I can be painfully blunt and honest on occasion, and that hits some people wrong, I get that, for me it comes down to do I want somebody to co-sign my BS or do I want solution and answers, I guess I am looking for different things from my recovery from codependency then others here.

Laurie and LaTeeDa seem to have the knack of being as blunt as me without causing the resentment, good trick to learn I guess.

I am sorry that my post bothered you.