View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 03:59 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

Well my first meeting I ever went to I was DRUNK on my butt! I had been drinking all day, the wife was POed!!! So to get her off my arse I told her I was going to an AA meeting!

I was not ready to stop, had no interest in it, I was just getting the wife off my butt for a few. I stopped at a 7-11 and bought a 6 pack on the way and killed 3 before I even went in the meeting, I was positive I was going to see a group of broken down old men drinking coffee, smoking, and whining about they wished they could handle thier drinking!!

It was a speakers meeting, it started at 7PM, I went in at about 6:58PM, a guy welcomed me, showed me where the coffee was, I grabbed a cup and took a seat. The only thing I got out of the speaker was that Germany was a great place to get drunk and have a good time!!

Well after the meeting several guys including the speaker came up and spoke with me, the speaker gave me a hard covered BB and I got the hell out of there, I still had 3 cold ones in the truck!!!

What did I get out of that meeting? Well I learned that the folks in AA were not a bunch of broken down old men, the people in AA were ALIVE, they were friendly, the ones who spoke to me after the meeting did not care that I was fall down drunk, the people were of all ages, men and women, they seemed happy, they were from all walks of life.

It was 5 years before I went to my second meeting, I was in detox then and even though the meeting was miles away from that first one, the people were the same as they were when I was drunk!!!

The biggest difference was I was ready to stay stopped and I was able to see they had what I wanted!!! I wanted to be able to smile, have a twinkle in my eye, to be able to laugh without being drunk, I wanted to live life like they did.............. SOBER!

I have seen 2 wet ones show up at meetings that were being disrespectful and LOUD, a couple of oldtimers took them out side the meeting and they spoke, the old timers did not throw them out, they simply spoke to them, let them know that they were welcome any time, drunk or sober, they just told them to be more respectful of others and that was it.

I saw this one guy come to meetings every day drunk as a skunk, when he shared it was hard to understand him, but there was a desire there that was tangible..... he did this every day for at least a month.......... Then I did not see him for a while... Well he showed up at a meeting, bright eyed, clean, and smiling............. he was SOBER!!!

I have spoken to a few wet drunks in my little over 3 years, but usually the old timers are speaking to them before I get to.

Does a wet one bother me? Heck no, he reminds me of where I was at, seeing that fear/anger/frustration in their faces help me to see what I could go back to by just taking that first drink.

You ask what you should do? Well the best thing you can do is do what your heart/HP leads you to do, hard to go wrong there!