Thread: Making Progress
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 02:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ItsmeAlice

I agree....Good for you for setting a boundary to protect your interests.

And what a great job you did seeing through his attempt to use a perceived loophole in your boundary statement to further his use of your car.

She won't give me the car to go drinking so I'll get the car to go bowling. I'll be drinking while bowling and then I can grab a few on the way home. See, that should get by her because I'm not taking the car to go straight to drinking, right? WHAT BS!

At one time or another we are put in a position of seeing through the manipulation. At one time, I fell for my XABF's BS when I set a boundary about not buying him cigarrettes or beer anymore. He worked his magic and I took a big bite out of the poisoned apple and felt like a complete fool.

Good job not questioning your boundary as he intended for you to do. It's still taking your car to go drinking whether it's a roundabout way to get drunk or not. It's still not going to fly.

When I wondered about my boundaries being meant to control my XABF, I considered the benefit to me. If the benefit to me was foremost in the boundary such as my safety, finances, my pets health or whatever and secondarily kept him from from drinking as usual or made him deal with a consequence or two, well that was just icing on my cake.

Hang in there, you're doing so well!!

Alice