View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 10:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
michaeld34

Great insights, thank each one of you. I could not go to an AA meeting without driving 2-3 hours away from where I work and live due to my job. Frankly I am not the AA type, that's a reflection on me not people that go to AA. Also, I don't think I'm an alcoholic, but I think I'm at great risk of heading in that direction. Then again perhaps I am, I will evaluate that as the weeks go by. When I take some of the test out there used to evaluate one self I tend to score just on the fence of being considered an alcohol.

At the very least I have abused alcohol for years, it's effected by marriage, how I interact with my kids and my motivation to do things I would normally be doing if I was drinking the way I have been.

My extended family has no idea how much I drink as I do not generally drink at all around them, they see me as a strong professional leader so I try and play that role publicly. I often view addicts as weak human beings (I know this is stupid) which is likely the reason I've ignored my own heavy drinking.

This site will be a great help to me personally and in my career. When one acknowledges they have been abusing alcohol themselves it makes it easier to feel compassion for the people I supervise who have similar if not worse additions/abusive behavior.

Michael