Old 10-29-2009, 06:40 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
pennylane2009
it's all happening

Hey Jo,

Don't go telling the entire world at the moment. You're not sure what's happening with you, so sit on it and be quiet with it for a while. See where your heart takes you. No need to announce it to the world, in my opinion.

That said, I think you did the right thing talking to your husband and letting him talk to his friend. It took me a while to talk to my husband, and he too thinks I'm overreacting. He says he's convinced one day we'll laugh about "the time you thought you were an alcoholic." Whatever. I try to liken this whole denial thing to possessed people you see in the movies. Every once in a while, the demon lets go and the real person is able to take control for a moment. That's what I think happens in early sobriety -- somewhere deep inside of you, the real you is trying to scream out "stop the insanity!" but the alcohol is still ruling the roost, so you go back and forth, back and forth, debating it, talking yourself back into drinking, etc. Recognizing the voice of alcohol in your brain really helps keep it at bay. You can say, "Oh, there it is again ..." and just ignore it.

Diane Schuler also had a big impact on me. I'm originally from the North Jersey area, so I know that whole Taconic Parkway area quite well. This summer, I was at a party talking to people about it, talking about how shocked I was about what had just happened. I had a beer in my hand, my kids were playing around quite nicely ... I kept drinking a few more, and then got in the car and drove everyone home. Nice, huh? Hypocritical much?

Anyway, I'm glad you're here. Keep writing it all out. You can access the blog feature from your profile page. I don't have one, but you might like it.