View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 01:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
yeahgr8

Originally Posted by thirtybubba View Post
Yes! That's what I needed to hear.

More specifics. I know, I shouldn't be like this, but I can't help but skip over a lot of the same words I keep hearing. "It gets better"--but how? Is it physical, mental, emotional, what changes. I know each person is different, and the outcome is going to be different, but sometimes I think a lot of the "better" applies to others... can't help it, it was the way I was raised. I try not to think of others as being entitled to happiness, but I notice it a lot in my thoughts as I read through some of these, especially since a lot of them are very broadly worded.

So specifics, and ones that could apply to me, is VERY useful. Thank you, thank you, and thank you, and congrats on the 100 days. And you're so right about the week...

Hola TB

If you go to AA, get a sponsor and work the steps to the best of your ability and continue to work them on a daily basis you will literally become much less insane...this means that you will look back at the way you are thinking and the decisions you are making at the moment and realise how insane you were because you will know yourself better and you will be able to start a new life with a blank sheet of papaer instead of carrying around all the **** from the past. This means that you will stop making the same mistakes as before and actually start learning from the past instead of going round and round in circles for the next 10 years with the only difference, potentially, being people, places and things.

It will also mean that the following will come true for you:

If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through. We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness. We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it. We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace. No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience will benefit others. That feeling of uselessness and self-pity will disappear. We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows. Self-seeking will slip away. Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change. Fear of people and of economic security will leave us. We will intuitively know how to handle situations that used to baffle us. We will suddenly realise that God (HP) is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves - from Big Book 4th edition. (spelling mistakes added by me, if any;-))

Some people do what is called 2 stepping, 1 and 12, some people get to step 4ish in rehab and then stop and just attend meetings...some people just attend meetings...that is down to them but if you want the best life for yourself you will do what i highlighted above.

There are a lot of other things that seem to happen, e.g. you start losing the 'i have to do this' way of thinking about your life and start replacing it with 'i want to do this' as you start to learn to trust yourself again...loads more other stuff but that's the jist of it, as specific as i can be:-)