Thread: Pain
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009, 06:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Valleyd

Pain

They say that pain is the catalyst to change...

I went to see my counselor (finally) today. He told me that my mental health has gone way downhill and he is right. As some of you know I am living with a good friend (? I'd like to believe that anyway) who has Stage IV Lung Cancer. I thought I was moving into a situation where my friend was going to be into her recovery and going to meetings and able to lend me a helping hand with transportation and moral support. Over these last nine months, things have gone from bad to worse. She is totally irresponsible and undependable and far from being into recovery and going into meetings. She wants to "be comfortable" (high) as she allows herself to go down the tubes without a fight. I am trying to take care of her and her four out of control dogs, I am not able to get a drivers license for another 13 months which then makes it impossible to get a job. I live too far away from public transportation and places to work. I don't want to leave her like this but if I don't do something soon, I am going to have a nervous breakdown or use. It breaks my heart. What really kills me and causes me a GIANT resentment is that she continues to charge me $100 a week in rent and half of the utilities. My dad has been helping me but I'm a grown woman and I am not ok with that...apparently, she is. I want to be self-sufficient. I worked my a$$ off for a couple of months at a Seafood Market (I lucked out and found a co worker who was willing to give me a ride) over the summer and it was a very humbling experience. I used to be a legal assistant but because of my criminal background and the job market being what it is, that was all I could find. I was able to put away a little bit of money because I knew that was only seasonal and that she would continue to charge me. I have been only allowing myself the bare necessities and the rest goes into her pocket. I wish she would realize that this is not how friendship works! She has no rent or mortgage to pay, the only thing she pays for is half the electric bill, half the phone bill and car insurance. This house was actually left to her by an old woman who died that she used to be a caretaker for. She gets a decent sum of money from disability and past due child support. She goes out and blows her money on jewelry and clothes and frivious things and doesn't understand why I don't treat myself(!?) She does not NEED to keep taking from me financially, but she does... and she gets hostile when I imply that I am going to go broke sitting here day after day and says "after all I've done for you".

I found out today about a sober house in a town close by that is in an area where I would stand a much better chance of finding work. There is public transportation and a lot of businesses within walking distance. The women have their own rooms and I think the rent is about the same as I'm paying here. I HATE to leave her here dying of cancer unable to care for herself and her dogs but I cannot save her...

... maybe, I can save myself.