View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009, 10:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Lionne
not little, a stranger no more

As someone who loves to cook and to eat, I know this problem and have felt the same. I can only agree with those who say it gets better with time.
In many recipes, you can substitute the red wine trough blackcurrant and purple grape juice, or a mix of 1/2 cup purple grape juice + 1 tbsp. rice vinegar, or even grape jelly or beef broth.

Edit: I also found this blog entry from a pregnant lady who made coq au vin with apple juice and it looks and sounds delicious: this little piggy went to market...: Barefoot Bloggers: Coq Au Vin
I think I'll try this.

For most (salty)white whine dishes, broth is also an alternative, as well as white grape juice/apple juice for sweeter dishes and it still tastes as good. Most of the french people I know don't even use that much alcohol in their cooking

Also there are plenty of really good recipes that don't even require alcohol. you just will get used to it. If you were, let's say lactose intolerant, you would also adjust your cooking to it. We're alcoholics, so we have to adjust our cooking to that. And with all the hundreds of recipes that exist, you won't even be missing out on anything, even if now it looks like you have to give up something.

Last edited by Lionne; 10-27-2009 at 10:56 AM.