Thread: terrified
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009, 09:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
sailorjohn

Originally Posted by anon505 View Post
I'm going to my first AA meeting on Thursday. I feel like I need a sponser to guide me. I'm worried though because I don't want to advertise the fact that I have a problem.
Alcoholics Anonymous. Members only, in a lot of ways we are like a secret society. Most meetings are not open to the general public, only those that have a desire to stop drinking

I need something solid though, I need a plan.
AA uses a plan called the 12 steps. Very solid.

Is it possible that I can do this by myself?
Yes, possible, but a lot easier with outside support, especially outside face-to-face support.

What does everyone else do when found in a situation where people are trying to pressure you to drink? I don't know if most the people I know will support me in a life without alcohol, because most of them can't even take me saying no for an answer.
I rarely encounter that because I absolutely limit my exposure to drinking 'occasions'. Those occasions that revolve around drinking. And we know what those occasions are. Something you may find yourself having to do early in sobriety, and you may prefer to do it down the road in any event.

For me, there really is nothing for me at drinking parties. The people there aren't funnier, the conversation isn't better, the women aren't more attractive.