View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009, 11:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dolce7dolore

I'm sorry to hear about your story. You know, there are lots of different types of abuse. My parents, thankfully, never physically harmed me or threatened me, but they did drink all the time. Abuse obviously doesn't have to involve alcohol.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever done a family history of alcohol? Maybe your father never drank, but maybe he has a long history in his family. Maybe his father drank and beat him. Oftentimes ACOAs pass on traits of the alcoholic family even if they themselves never drink. For instance, my aunt (mom's sister) never drinks, but she still grew up in an alcoholic/dysfunctional family, and so even without the alcohol present, she still passed on dysfunction to her children. Which means that my cousins, who never dealt with alcoholic parents first-hand, can probably still relate to many things that ACOAs say.

It might be revealing to do some family research, if you haven't already. Especially if you feel you can relate to many of the things said here.