Old 10-25-2009, 10:10 PM
  # 423 (permalink)  
gneiss
Never settle.

Hope you're on the mend, Alera.

My weekend was AWESOME! My field trip was bomb, though my prof really ticked me off this morning. He woke up and announced that, after paying $50 for hotel rooms last night, he had decided to only go to our first of 4 stops today. He cut the trip short and we drove home. If he had really wanted to do that he could have trimmed a few minutes off each stop yesterday (including lunch), made an extra stop to see what we saw this morning, and gone home yesterday. That would have saved me a hotel bill. Geez, I'm in grad school here! Turns out he'd gone out with some of the students last night and they got hammered. That's right, my professor was too hung over to do his job that he dragged us 300 miles away to do. It's the only time I have really been upset about someone else's drinking.

And while I was gone someone broke into my apartment. All that's missing is my old laptop that I was about to chuck anyway because it's basically a sea anchor. It's not really a big loss but my roommate thinks he basically interrupted the crime. He came home and the front door was open, our video game stuff was pulled out and he was sure he smelled cigarette smoke. But he didn't notice anything gone so he didn't call the police. When I got home this afternoon my laptop was gone. We think we know who did it and we think he's actually tried to get in before (the security chain on the door was pulled out of the wall a couple weeks ago, but we each assumed the other had done it and never asked... but that means he tried to get in while I was here alone, because that's the only time the chain has been used) but since it wasn't reported promptly going to the police isn't going to help. My roommate has a felony record and since he was the only person here and didn't report it he's worried the police will think he did it. If we name the suspect it doesn't turn out well for us because the only reason we know him is he used to sell us coke. So, the loss of an old crappy laptop is going to have to be the cost of a lesson: don't hang out with thugs and don't do drugs. More than the laptop though, is that I'm just uncomfortable now. I'd be dead to the world right now, I'm tired, but I can't sleep. I hear every noise. Last week I posted on this thread that I dreamed someone tried to break in, and when I woke up there was someone on the front porch. My mom told me, "what if the dream was actually something you heard and it woke you up? You turned on the light in your room so whoever it was probably stepped out and shut the door quietly. You looked through the peep hole and since you were sleepy I almost guarantee you leaned against the door when you looked and he was standing out there, heard it, knew he'd been seen, and left." Yeah. That really makes me sleep better. Thanks, Mom.