View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 12:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
sailorjohn

Originally Posted by NEOMARXIST View Post
Honesty is crucial to my recovery and i would never lie about why I don't drink anymore and why I avoid situations where it will be prevalent. Obviously i don't tell anyone I'm an alcoholic or anything but I don't lie to people. Honesty is crucial to me. I ain't ashamed of my past anyway.

Whatever works for you...
Well, now I am slightly confused, you say you don't tell anyone you're an alcoholic, but you don't lie about why you don't drink anymore? Maybe you left something out of your post.

For me, most of what other people feel they need to know falls under the category of, 'none of your business'. If they want to know why and I feel that they are looking for some answers to their own problem, would be more than happy to share my story. For the overwhelming majority of folks out there, the best response is simply I don't drink.

Not a lie, while I was still drinking I had a cardiac episode and was advised by rx to quit smoking, drinking, and caffeine consumption, not necessarily in that order.

Seriously though, a question for you, what would you have advised?

My response was-kept it to myself until now-to what it's like not drinking? might have been-Gee, *******, it's a relief not having to worry about looking like a complete jack**s because you're drunk and hitting on a girl that's at least 30 years younger than you.