View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 11:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
NEOMARXIST

Originally Posted by sailorjohn View Post
I rarely talk to 'outsiders' about it, when queried-love that word!-I tell them 'doctors orders'. I had a guy ask me what it was like to 'not drink' with a little smirk on his face, he is probably one of the group of problem drinkers in the folks I race with.

Rolled snappy comebacks around in my head for a bit, didn't say anything in the end.

On the occasions where people are drinking, and they offer me one-it does happen every now and again-I simply say I don't drink, and leave it at that.
If it works for you then great...

But for me being a 23 year old male living in England and working with lots of other younger people who ask me to go out drinking, parties etc then I am open and honest about the fact that I do not drink. Honesty is crucial to my recovery and i would never lie about why I don't drink anymore and why I avoid situations where it will be prevalent. I do not lie about doctors orders or anything like that, I simply say that I am done with it or something to that effect. I find it doesn't bother me talking about booze/drugs with people as that was a massive part of my life and I find it helps to keep me rigid in my sobriety to not forget my past. Obviously i don't tell anyone I'm an alcoholic or anything but I don't lie to people. Honesty is crucial to me. I ain't ashamed of my past anyway.

Whatever works for you...