Thread: AA Religion?
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 09:39 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Ago

This statement confused me for a long time as well until someone explained it to me

The terms "spiritual experience" and "spiritual awakening" means the personality change sufficient to bring about recovery from alcoholism in the BB

That's it

the personality change sufficient to bring about recovery from alcoholism

I am able to be in and work AA without having a speck of religion, I am now however open minded enough to not have a problem with religion and am quick to see where religious people are right, the funny thing in most cases in my experience, they are also quick to see where we atheists are right too IN AA.

Having a dictionary helped incredibly in working the program although I found it incredibly offensive when it was suggested I try using one.

What I didn't know what I was doing was placing my own values on words rather then what they actually meant, especially when it came to spiritual terms, like

God: The Great Reality

hard to argue with that, to me the word God had always meant the little man that lived in the sky with his ten rules that needed money and had zillions of hyprocritical followers that spent their spare time killing each other in "His" name and the name of love I found so offensive

Now that word means something different to me, something non-religious, with "laws" such as gravity, and natural law etc but also spiritual laws, such as you put love in, you get love out, you put hate and garbage in, you get hate and garbage back.