View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 12:51 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
littlefish

If antibus is working for you who gives them the right to say your not trying, thats just not right. Sometimes I do not post just because I dont want to hear some of the negitive remarks that I know will come with the responces. Hang in there, sounds like your on the right track!
Searching, I couldn't find a post on this thread that implied loveinmenow is not trying. I didn't sense the remarks were negative towards loveinmenow, either.

I did see remarks addressing the use of antabuse and it's effectiveness.

I don't think anyone is trying to invalidate her 6 months and it is wonderful that she accomplished that: she could have quit the antabuse after two weeks, eh?

But, any mention of antabuse is going to unavoidably trigger a secondary discussion, which is: is antabuse effective in a long lasting recovery? Does it help us develop the mental tools needed to stay sober?

I was at a relapse prevention class at my outpatient rehab center yesterday and we discussed antabuse. About half of my class is using antabuse - all of the ones using antabuse mentioned that 1 year is the time their therapists recommend ending the antabuse "phase" of their recovery.
At least at my rehab center, antabuse is not seen as a permanent, lifetime cure for alcohol.
And, that is how it was for me when I used it: my therapist and I agreed on a 6 months to a 1 year plan. Then the idea was that I would move further in my recovery using other tools.