Old 10-22-2009, 08:13 PM
  # 408 (permalink)  
gneiss
Never settle.

Wow. Chirp chirp... I think I hear crickets in here.

I'm on yet another field trip. I love them. We got rained out of our first 4 stops this morning, the river was too high and we couldn't get to them. Try again tomorrow... I hope it works this time because it's the best fossil collecting available on this trip.

I am fortunate on this trip to have a quiet roommate. She's never been in a bar, she's from China and isn't old enough to drink in her hometown. Everyone else went for a drink tonight. She and I came back to our room; she's studying, I'm about to go to sleep. And I need it after today! 4:30 start this morning. Yuck.

Ya know, I've always known it's best to let bygones by bygones, let go of things because it really is best for me. And I've always been good about it but it's always been fairly petty stuff. I know a girl who literally every time I thought of her for about the last 18 months I've thought how much I hate her. She's been mean to me, attacked me in ways no one else ever has, and it's because she believed some stuff she heard about me and dreamed up about me that has nothing to do with reality. I just got tired of feeling like that (she's a semi-permanent fixture, I really can't get rid of her without losing the few functional friendships I still have). So I emailed her that I was sorry when I had been wrong, didn't expect her to like me but wanted to apologize, and I knew she was in a tough situation and acted on info that wasn't correct. I felt a little better after that, but didn't expect much (she was pretty convinced I slept with her fiance, after all. That would be hard to get over). Next day I was surprised to get an apology back. And while I wouldn't call us friends, we've actually been civil to each other for the last couple days. It's pretty amazing what a simple apology can do.