View Single Post
Old 06-04-2004, 09:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lostinabq

Unhappy I drink, he is a recovering A

The problem lies in that I drink and he cannot. Over the last year and a half he has used this as a tool to hurt me. I have been called a drunk, as well as numerous other names that I cannot post. I like to have wine with dinner or a beer on the weekend, whatever. He had told me when we started dating that it wasn't an issue for him, he has been sober for 5 years. So, I was misled from day one.

I am not sure whether it is controlling and bad behaviour or his inability to really deal with alcohol. His family and friends drink and that doesn't bother him. If I drink, it becomes an issue (but only some of the time, I never really know when). I feel like it is the only thing he can yell at me about because he doesn't do it himself. The other issues of controlling behaviour, like him not wanting me to do things with my friends, are separate issues but he always has to bring alcohol into it. If I have a glass of wine and want to talk to him about something (anything relationship or serious related), he won't discuss it with me and gets immediately defensive and blames the wine. He will tell me that he will never marry me and storm off. I usually sit there dumbfounded about what the *ell* happened.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Without going into detail he appears to be verbally abusive and manipulative to me? Is this possibly a case of a dry drunk? He seems very angry at the world to me.