View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009, 12:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
littlefish

I remember when you were thinking about trying antabuse, and, I shared my experience with it. I actually stopped using it right around the time you started.
I am not going to forecast what will happen to you, but I can tell you what happened to me.
I went off the antabuse after 6 months of not drinking. During those 6 months I went to AA meetings, but remained passive. I didn't have a sponsor nor did I start to work the steps. In retrospect, I hadn't really started doing any meaningful work in aa. I know that now but I didn't realize it then.

I got a sponsor the week before I quit antabuse and I told her I was nervous and worried that I would relapse.
I didn't really know if aa and my rehab center would work as a "replacement" for antabuse.
Well, I relapsed and went through a very difficult spring and summer in which I realized I was essentially starting all over again. It was tough but I am glad I stayed determined to remain sober without antabuse.
I completed step one and just recently completed step two and these days I really feel like the program is working for me.

With antabuse I essentially continued to think the same way I thought when I drank. It's no wonder I relapsed. I needed to change my way of thinking, from the ground up.