Thread: Can I go to AA?
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2009, 06:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
yeahgr8

Hi

Funny you should post this as last Saturday i went to an AA meeting in Spain and the guy who i went up with is your age, i know him quite well actuallly but you know how it is little by little over time you get to know people as friends and find out more about them.

He said to me that he had wanted to give up drinking for years but thought that he had not yet become an alcoholic and that he had to wait until he was drinking everyday, all day until he could go somewhere like AA...now he knows he was mistaken!

There are a massive diversity of drinking patterns in the AA meetings i go to from once in a while 2 days binges to the every other weekend binger (just nights though) to the 24/7 drinker...

So yes you can go to AA, your experiences and the way you feel about your drinking after the fact mean that you will be where you need to be in order to have a happy, sober life.

Be aware too that i have met alcoholics with your pattern of drinking that have stayed out of AA for 40 years and never become a daily drinker, they have lived miserable, ****** lives and finally get through the door in their late fifties...

Take the path that does not have the flashing warning signs and do not come this way written clearly above it, get to AA and listen;-)

Good for you for looking for help!

Cliff

ps oh yeah ffs be careful who's advice you take in the beginning, the road to your hell is paved with other's good intentions...go to AA:-)