Old 10-19-2009, 06:42 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
tyler
Not all better, getting better

Originally Posted by firestorm090 View Post
I have a woman living with me now, that I thought would help me stay sober .
The biggest thing that has held me back over the years was the thought that this thing or that person would "help me stay sober". It never worked out. The only person who can "help me stay sober" is me. It is a decision I have to make and be true to myself.

Now there are things that can help you have a better chance with this, outpatient is a good start. They will teach you skills that you can use to prevent a relapse, for example. However, unless you decide to use those skills instead of drinking, it won't matter.

I have been to two inpatient rehabs, and several outpatient. I've been to numerous theripists, read countless books on addiction. I posess enough "knowledge" on addiction to write a book on the subject. However it is only recently that I have had any sucess staying clean. I finally reached a point in my life where I wanted to do it for me. Not my wife (now ex), my son, my parents, my employer, etc. I finally decided I was worthy of this. I didn't want to keep hurting myself over and over again. I was worthy of a better life.

It took countless failures to reach this point, I wish I had reached it sooner, but I guess it took as long as it needed to. Pick yourself up, brush yourself off, go to that rehab, and make this work for YOU. You are worth it. Take care.